Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New Recipe

First let me say, yes I sometimes do cook from cook books and recipes, and yes we do eat 'regular' food on most days. I think everyone expects us to eat gourmet meals every night, but that is not really practical when on a budget. I love finding new inspiration, especially for soups, which are my absolute favorite type of food to cook. Cooking dinner at least 4 or 5 nights a week, and on a budget can prove difficult when you haven't had any new inspiration in a while. Anyway, I found this one in a Paula Dean's cook book (I love her!), and thought I would share it. JJ & James both loved it, and JJ doesn't really care for mushrooms too much. 

Sausage & Rice Casserole

One 6-ounce box rice (I used beef flavored)
1 pound ground sausage
1 onion
1 garlic clove
8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
one can cream of mushroom soup
4 tablespoons butter
Preheat oven to 350.

Cook rice according to directions on box. Over medium heat, brown sausage, remove to drain. Sweat onions and garlic in sausage fat, add mushrooms and saute. (You can sub. with one 4 ounce can of mushrooms if you don't have fresh, and then you don't have to saute them). Combine all ingredients except butter in casserole dish. Dot top with butter. Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes. 

Let me know if you try it and what you think! It's a good 'Mama Food' recipe, (as Cindy would say).

1 comment:

~kristi said...

that sounds good. I am into cooking soups, anything you can dump in a pot and leave is my idea of cooking!